Top tip

Today's top tip is all about avoiding wavy binding.  Where the quilt is nice and square and flat before binding, the problem is being caused by the binding process.  As you attach the binding to the quilt, it is easy to gently pull the quilt so that, once the quilt is fully bound, the bound edges are wavy.  So here's how to avoid that:


1.   Start attaching the binding and attach about 2".
2.   Lay the quilt out on a table, don't pull it or stretch it, just let it lie flat.
3.   Lay the binding along the edge of the quilt.
4.   Clip the binding to the quilt using wonder clips or similar about every 6-10".  When clipping the binding, pull the binding taut so you are leaving the quilt top relaxed and flat but gently pulling the binding.  This is the key.
5.   Take the quilt back to the machine, attach the binding to that side until you reach the corner, sew the corner to start the next side as usual, again sew about 2" then once again stop, lay the quilt flat on the table and clip the binding to the edge as before.
6.   Continue until the whole quilt is bound.


As usual, I'd love to hear any of your tips for avoiding wavy quilt edges!

Comments

  1. I struggled with the binding on my last quilt which I finished earlier this week. I've only made three to date so I am still a newbie at this, but I had more than a few mishaps with the binding! I used the backing wrapped around as the binding (which might not have helped) so I think I will use "proper" binding on my next project and see how I get on! Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I don't know if you'll see this but I'd love to reply to your comments but you're a not reply comment blogger - if you google this, you will see what you need to do to change that and then I'll be able to reply to your lovely comments. x

      Delete
    2. Emma, I tried using the backing wrapped around as binding just one time. That was the last time!! lol It seems like it should be so very easy to just "do it", but that was the worst binding I have ever done. It was difficult and it was just plain ugly. You can probably guess that from that time on I have never used that technique again. It's proper binding for me every single time. Good luck next time.

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this method ..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will probably sound odd, but I use my ironing board to do this... I can raise the board up high so that I don't have to bend over (too much chocolate = too stout), and the weight of the quilt hanging slightly off of each end, keeps it tight on the edge and helps me to match the binding and pull it taut without stretching either the quilt or the binding, so no waves. Does that make sense? xx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tip! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)